10.May.2017
Flight 8
1.8 flight hours
2.4 instructor hours

What we did today:
  • Steep turns
  • Take-offs and Landings
  • Worked with GPS navigation
What worked today:
  • Taxiing was better. It is surprisingly difficult to go in a straight line on the ground. I screwed up on two spots but overall was doing better managing direction and speed.
  • My pattern work was pretty good today. I was managing to stay in the pattern pretty well.
  • Speed control on downwind and final was much better today. I don't think I scared Rick once today as we landed.
  • Landings were better. I came close to doing one without assistance...almost. We did 7 today and I'm up to 21 overall. I had a nice conversation with another pilot when we landed at Winder (KWDR) and he said landings came together for him around his 100'th landing. I don't know if I should be encouraged or discouraged!
  • Figuring out how to get into the pattern was better but it took longer than it should have and I still flipped one 180 degrees wrong.
What dinna woik:
  • Take-offs in my touch and go's were still a little sketchy. I had better throttle control (when you do a fast acceleration, the plan turns right really fast). I was still over-correcting. 
  • Steep turns; I do great maintaining altitude in right turns but am still loosing altitude on left turns.
What I need to work on:
  • Maintain altitude on steep left turns.
  • Keep working on getting into the pattern from random directions.
  • Put together all the different parts of a touch and go. Proper line-up on final, good speed, right glide slope, then easy power on, keep it in the middle, then maintain runway heading at 62 knots until out of the pattern.
  • iPad management skills. This was my first trip using all digital and it's way different than paper. It is going to be much better but I need more facility with the app so it's less thinking about what to click and more just using.
  • Attitude. I have been quite stressed about my progress. Flying is hard. It's so far different from anything I've ever done and I set high expectations for myself (only need 20 hours for the cert so sure...20 hours it'll be...NOT). I'm waking up at 2 am obsessing about <insert thing I screwed up on today>. I worry about the check ride. I worry about not passing because it screws up Rick's standing with the FAA (he has to have an 80% student pass rate to keep his CFI certification). Every screw up and extra lesson is another hour of funding...Hey! Doofus...this is something you're doing for fun, remember??? I need to realize that this is a process, it will take time, I have the funds to pay for the lessons, and I don't have to take my test until I'm ready. If I have to do something 10 times that someone else only needs 3 times to get it right...who gives a crap? I'm not trying for my ATP cert. It's never going to be a job for me. If it takes me a year then it takes a year. It's all time in the air flying a plane. Whoo whoo!
Prep for next session:
  • Holy crap! I may actually get 3 sessions in this week!
  • I'm hoping we do more touch and go practice. I'll try and pull all phases of the process together.
  • Review iPad checklists to verify they are correct (think we found some typos during the flight).
  • Practice using ForeFlight by doing dummy flights with it on my knee pad.
Planning:
  • Start working on committing emergency checklists to memory.
  • The checklists we work from in the plane are done by Lanier Flight Center and are not exactly the same as those in the Pilot's Operating Handbook. I'll be tested on the POH content so that's what I need to learn.
  • Side note: typing the LFC checklist into ForeFlight was a good way to learn the checklists so I'll probably do the same and build a set of POH checklists.
Side note: My son took flight training at age 16, while taking AP courses in high school, and working a part time job. OK, he was 16 at the time, in great physical condition, and way smarter than I'll ever be but holy crap...that was a HUGE amount of work and stress on his plate. Hat tip to you, son! Thank you for your comments, feedback, and suggestions; they have been a big help.


Comments