15.Jun.2017
Flight 15
2.0 flight hours
0.0 solo hours
2.5 instructor hours

What we did today
  • 3 power failures/emergency landings
  • Steep turns
  • Slow speed
  • Power on stalls
  • Power off stalls
  • Working the pattern
  • Soft field take-off/landing
What worked today:
  • 1of 3 emergency landings
  • Everything else except steep turns and power off stalls.
What didn't work today:
  • 2 of 3 emergency landings would have ended with me as a headline on the news...In one case Rick cut the power abeam the numbers on downwind and I was too far out on the pattern so into the trees we'd have gone. In the second case, i was spiraling down to a private runway and had it nailed but choose to do one more loop and was too low to make the runway.
  • Steep turns...sucked today.
  • Power off stall. I went 'flaps then power'...totally backward.
  • Still landing harder than ideal but the setup is getting more consistent.
 Things to work on:
  • Not sure what happened today on steep turns. I usually nail them. I blame it on sun in my eyes.
  • I'm at a point where I'll be doing solo work in the training area so I should be able to start doing more repetitive practice.
Prep for next lesson:
  •  I think I need to sim a bunch of emergency landings/engine failures just to get used to the process.
  • I may also sim stalls. I've been doing nothing but pattern work in the sim so time to see how other maneuvers work when simulated.

Comments