Date: 19.Sep.2017
Dual Hours: 1.7
Solo Hours: 0
Dual Landings: 5
Solo Landings: 0

Last flight was 10 days ago and not logged. Next flight won't be until 16.Oct. Weather, trips, and scheduling have been, and will be, pretty crappy.

All recent flights have been 'knock the rust off' so nothing new, no gains, no movement toward the checkride.

After I get back into flying in October, the intent is to try and do more flights more often, possibly even two a days where I can.

The checkride is likely to be December or more likely January. I won't be ready prior to Thanksgiving and the Nov/Dec time period is always a mess.

Today was practice the checkride. The first steep turn was in spec but ugly (forgot to increase throttle). Second was a total elevation change of 75 feet so not bad.

Slow flight was OK.

Power off and on stalls were not all that good. We did them in a different sequence than normal and Rick was forcing me to set up the stall. I did the setups wrong, he demo'd them, and I did them again OK. I get confused because doing these stalls is intended to mimic stalls on departure and landing. To set them up, you have to do a normal takeoff/landing at 3800' and then 'get lost' and do something stupid like pull up way beyond what is normal. I keep getting screwed up on  when to do a 'proper' takeoff or landing and when to get stupid...it'll come.

Power off emergency. We were in an area that had open land that was not good for landings; lots of hills, fences, tall trees, etc. I managed to find a field, headed toward it, then realized it was full of cattle. Landing there would have been bad for the plane, me, Rick, and the cows. There was another field nearby but I was low enough and out of position so I'd have missed the field and crashed into trees. If it had been a real failure, I would probably have had to go for the cows and hope for the best. I now know to look for black spots on the grass.

The last month has been frustrating. I'm hoping that I can get back into a routine and get to and through the check ride.

Comments