Week of 26.Feb.2018

Jan and part of Feb have been a pain because of either illness or weather.

Checkride is scheduled for this Friday, 02.Mar.2018 (and cancelled - weather)

I feel pretty confident that I can pass both the oral and flight portion of the assessment. So that's good news.

Rich has been sick but Lanier now has a second CFI for Sport Pilot; a young guy freshly minted as a CFI and not completely familiar with the Skycatcher. I've been up once with him and it went pretty well. This is good since he can sub in for Rick if Rick is still sick this Friday.

The bad news: Friday winds look to be too high for me to fly...grrrr...

I'm also planning a trip to Florida on 13.Mar-19.Mar for my Mom's birthday so I'll have one week I can slot into any open space for the checkride before I go off...that'll add at least 2 weeks before I can test (one week for trip, one week to get back in practice). Plus it's March, known for high winds...ohhhh welll...

Notes on yesterday's flight. Winds were higher than I normally fly and it's been a week or so since I went up. First couple of trips around the pattern favored runway 23 which still had strong crosswinds. I was having a ton of trouble staying on center line, was flaring too high, and wasn't lined up all that well. We checked weather after the third landing and discovered that winds now favored runway 29. When I computed crosswinds later, it turned out that I was landing in 9.5 knot crosswinds! The Skycatcher is rated to 12 knots, students are allowed 5 with an option to extend to 8 with CFI approval so I was way out of my limits and approaching the limits for the plane! I guess the good news is knowing that I can put the plane down in what, for the 'Catcher, are major winds. I also know that I shouldn't be flying in those conditions! Hey kids, check your weather often!

Planned flights every day this week. Today should be good, tomorrow looks iffy, and Thursday is clear but winds are starting to come up. Friday...prob not.

Just gonna keep on keepin' on.


Comments