Prepping for DED
04.Aug.2018
So, since I got certificated I've been scheduling one local and one cross country flight per week. Weather has gotten in the way for a few of those weeks but I've been pretty consistent with the schedule.
The local flights are all run as mini-checkrides; I do standard testing maneuvers and take-off/landings except engine outs (LFC doesn't allow them). The XC flights have ranged from about 2 hours to almost 3 typically with 2 'away' airport landings. All are done using (mostly) dead reckoning/pilotage.
I think I've worked out a cockpit management schema that works, have had a chance to practice Aviation Decision Making (ADM) for both traffic and diversions. The only thing I haven't tried is flight following which I will try on one leg of a planned XC that has a 70 mile segment.
All of these leads me to a point where I'm getting comfortable with the idea of a long XC so I have rented the plane for 4 days and will fly (weather gods permitting) from GVL to DED (Deland, FL) for the birthday weekend with my parents and sister in Daytona. The flight is nominally 5ish hours. A nearly direct flight path misses most complex airspace. I have one military area between 3000 and 6000' south of Jax so I'll just over/under-fly that. There is an alert area north of DED where every flight student in FL seems to congregate and I have to fly through part of that to get to DED. I'm nervous but don't think it will be a huge issue, especially if I have flight following for that leg of the trip.
I'm also planning my first passenger flight in a few weeks when my daughter-in-law is here for a visit (still can't get the sigOther into the plane). This will help me work out passenger management since I intend to take my parents and sister for sightseeing flights while I'm in FL.
Details to follow.
So, since I got certificated I've been scheduling one local and one cross country flight per week. Weather has gotten in the way for a few of those weeks but I've been pretty consistent with the schedule.
The local flights are all run as mini-checkrides; I do standard testing maneuvers and take-off/landings except engine outs (LFC doesn't allow them). The XC flights have ranged from about 2 hours to almost 3 typically with 2 'away' airport landings. All are done using (mostly) dead reckoning/pilotage.
I think I've worked out a cockpit management schema that works, have had a chance to practice Aviation Decision Making (ADM) for both traffic and diversions. The only thing I haven't tried is flight following which I will try on one leg of a planned XC that has a 70 mile segment.
All of these leads me to a point where I'm getting comfortable with the idea of a long XC so I have rented the plane for 4 days and will fly (weather gods permitting) from GVL to DED (Deland, FL) for the birthday weekend with my parents and sister in Daytona. The flight is nominally 5ish hours. A nearly direct flight path misses most complex airspace. I have one military area between 3000 and 6000' south of Jax so I'll just over/under-fly that. There is an alert area north of DED where every flight student in FL seems to congregate and I have to fly through part of that to get to DED. I'm nervous but don't think it will be a huge issue, especially if I have flight following for that leg of the trip.
I'm also planning my first passenger flight in a few weeks when my daughter-in-law is here for a visit (still can't get the sigOther into the plane). This will help me work out passenger management since I intend to take my parents and sister for sightseeing flights while I'm in FL.
Details to follow.
Comments
Post a Comment