FINALY! Nailed cross-wind landings
13.Sept.2018
After the last plane in the pattern landed, I switched from 5/23 to 11/29 so I could practice cross-wind landings. Cross-winds on 11 ranged from about 5 to 9 knots. The Skycatcher has been tested to 11 so this was a pretty good test for landings.
I've been doing the 'crab then kick it in line' landing technique and pretty much suck at it; as I kick the plane to align, I lose track of the wind and the nose and generally land with a lot of side load; I'm down but it ain't pretty.
Today I decided to do a full side slip landing from final to touchdown. What a difference! I have time to get the nose aligned with the center and tip the plane into the wind to counteract the cross wind. First landing, I landed a bit flat (lost track of the nose up angle) but I was going slow enough that it was OK...PLUS NO slide load!
Next landing I paid attention to the nose, got it down on the upwind main gear, dropped the downwind wheel, and then got the nose down. No side load, totally greased the landing.
I did it again just to prove I had it and landing 3 was also pretty close to perfect!
The wind was relatively steady today and not gusting horribly so that helped a lot but I think this way to do cross wind landings is my go to method from now on!
Last challenge: get Donna in the plan and have her enjoy the ride.
After the last plane in the pattern landed, I switched from 5/23 to 11/29 so I could practice cross-wind landings. Cross-winds on 11 ranged from about 5 to 9 knots. The Skycatcher has been tested to 11 so this was a pretty good test for landings.
I've been doing the 'crab then kick it in line' landing technique and pretty much suck at it; as I kick the plane to align, I lose track of the wind and the nose and generally land with a lot of side load; I'm down but it ain't pretty.
Today I decided to do a full side slip landing from final to touchdown. What a difference! I have time to get the nose aligned with the center and tip the plane into the wind to counteract the cross wind. First landing, I landed a bit flat (lost track of the nose up angle) but I was going slow enough that it was OK...PLUS NO slide load!
Next landing I paid attention to the nose, got it down on the upwind main gear, dropped the downwind wheel, and then got the nose down. No side load, totally greased the landing.
I did it again just to prove I had it and landing 3 was also pretty close to perfect!
The wind was relatively steady today and not gusting horribly so that helped a lot but I think this way to do cross wind landings is my go to method from now on!
Last challenge: get Donna in the plan and have her enjoy the ride.
Comments
Post a Comment