01.Dec.2018 - End of the line
On 16.Nov.2018 while on a short cross country to Macon County Airport in NC, I experienced an engine out caused by, apparently, carb ice. The engine would not restart and I executed an emergency landing approximately 7 miles south of the airport into a field just off US 441/23. I did some stuff well. I did some stuff OK, I didn't do some things that
turned out to be unimportant, and I was incredibly lucky. The aircraft was destroyed. I sustained minor injuries.
The FAA and NTSB paperwork is all submitted along with an insurance claim against my policy. Lanier Flight Center is likely to scrap out the plane.
I've spent the last 2 weeks going over (and over and over) the flight. I quit. At least for now.
While the physical injuries were minor, the emotional toll has been substantially greater than I initially expected. I am bothered that I didn't detect the carb ice before it was a problem. I am bothered by the fact that I couldn't land the plane in my initially targeted landing zone without damage (came in high and fast just like when I practice and pretty much like most landings). I am bothered that I've cost LFC money for the lost plane, money for lost rental hours, and money lost purchasing a new plane. I am bothered that the CFIs and students using the plane can't fly until a replacement is purchased. I am worried that there are other 'things that could kill you' that I don't fully understand and won't know how to address if they happen.
This project was intended to challenge me to learn something totally new. It did.
It was intended to be something I could enjoy for the next 5 - 10 years. I don't think so.
If the FAA doesn't pull my certification, I'm going to hold onto my ticket but I'm stepping out of the cockpit for now. I may decide, after time away, that I do want to go back but, for now, I don't see that happening.
If you've been following along, thanks for listening.
So long and thanks for the fish.
The FAA and NTSB paperwork is all submitted along with an insurance claim against my policy. Lanier Flight Center is likely to scrap out the plane.
I've spent the last 2 weeks going over (and over and over) the flight. I quit. At least for now.
While the physical injuries were minor, the emotional toll has been substantially greater than I initially expected. I am bothered that I didn't detect the carb ice before it was a problem. I am bothered by the fact that I couldn't land the plane in my initially targeted landing zone without damage (came in high and fast just like when I practice and pretty much like most landings). I am bothered that I've cost LFC money for the lost plane, money for lost rental hours, and money lost purchasing a new plane. I am bothered that the CFIs and students using the plane can't fly until a replacement is purchased. I am worried that there are other 'things that could kill you' that I don't fully understand and won't know how to address if they happen.
This project was intended to challenge me to learn something totally new. It did.
It was intended to be something I could enjoy for the next 5 - 10 years. I don't think so.
If the FAA doesn't pull my certification, I'm going to hold onto my ticket but I'm stepping out of the cockpit for now. I may decide, after time away, that I do want to go back but, for now, I don't see that happening.
If you've been following along, thanks for listening.
So long and thanks for the fish.
Comments
Post a Comment