20.Nov.2017
Solo Cross Country
GVL -> 18A -> TOC -> GVL
What wasn't so great:
Solo Cross Country
GVL -> 18A -> TOC -> GVL
What wasn't so great:
- Engine lean management wasn't too good. Failed to set proper rich/lean settings on a couple of take-offs and failed to set in cruise from GVL to 18A
- Failed to set the altimeter until heading back to GVL.
- 18A -> TOC felt like I was off course.
- Because I was a bit off course heading into TOC, the spot I thought was the airport wasn't...I did finally see the airport and got into a proper alignment without having to do any major course resetting.
- Failed to set 'end' time at 18A
- Couldn't get AWOS at 18A. Verified frequency multiple times but never got a weather report. No clue why.
- Missed a couple of radio calls; wrong runway or airport, but recovered quickly and corrected error.
- Landing flairs were a bit high but I managed to bleed off altitude and land OK; not perfect but not huge drops out of the sky.
- Failed to look for emergency landing spots.
- Pattern management went well.
- Handled traffic coming into GVL without getting freaked out. There were two of us heading for a 45 entry to runway 5 L downwind. He was north of me and a bit higher. I maintained course and made calls when appropriate. He passed about 1/2 mile in front of me (est) and I turned in behind him. He had space to land and get off the runway without my having to slow down.
- Speeds, altitudes, and courses were consistent and as planned. GVL - 18A - TOC (stopped for a pee break). TOC - GVL
- Flying felt almost good. Winds were light and the a ir was smooth. It was a nice day.
- Dump the checklists I made. They're great but take up about 30 pages on my kneeboard. Finding the right checklist at the right time takes too long. I think this was part of the problem with leaning and altimeter management. I'm going back to the Lanier Flight Center versions which are laminated and only a couple of pages long.
- Need to work on my route planning forms to make sure they have the info I need in a place that's easy to see. I also need to clearly mark the runway I'm going to use so when I make a call it's dead easy for me to see the right runway
- I may check with Rick to see if I can do at least another GVL - 18A (or maybe TOC run to practice the checklist skills I'll need to use on my check ride. UPDATE: Yep, gonna go again on Friday but only to 18A. UPDATE 2: Nope, not going. Dog problem this time.
- Plan on looking for emergency runways.
- If AWOS is out, use local smoke and the wind sock to figure out which runway to use.
Comments
Post a Comment