Date: 21.Jul.2017
Flight Number: 23
Flight Hours: 2.0
Solo Hours: 1.1
Instructor Hours: 2.6
Landings: 10
Solo Landings: 3

What we did today:
  • Pattern work to get my landings back (did OK)
  • Emergency go around (fake plane on the runway). I had to check with Rick to make sure there wasn't a plane on the runway...Wed was such a suck day I figured I'd screwed up again (didn't yeah)
  • Solo work in the practice area. I just did steep turns and slow flight today.
  • Solo landings
What went well:
  • Got to fly solo in the practice area! Felt good to not totally suck.
  • Learned that 'clearing turns' are useful. As I was setting up for a steep turn, I looked down and saw a Chinook CH 47 down low and slowly gaining altitude! We'd have probably missed if I'd just done the steep turn but... I tried to hale them on the radio to see where they were going but no joy.
  • First steep turn was within private pilot tolerances (50'), second within sport pilot (100'). In the first turn I crossed my own wake so that was good.
  • Landings were more lined up but I'm still not seeing 'straight' down the runway. More practice.
  • Patterns were much better today. On downwind I always tend to drift to the left. I watch the header bug (which is set to the runway I'm landing on) at dead bottom but there's no alignment mark on the bottom of the display. Rick suggested I fly the 'reverse' heading for the runway...ding ding ding! If I'm landing on runway 05, I keep the plane heading toward 230 which does line up with a mark on the display. Track logs show me doing a much more rectangular pattern today.
  • Speeds in the pattern. I didn't get too slow today. 70 knots after abeam the numbers, 65 on base, 60-65 on final and never got close to too slow.
What didn't go so well:
  • Landings were so-so. Still side loading too much. I bounced one landing but managed to keep it together and land it.
  • Altitude in the practice area. I was planning to fly at 3500' but was all over the place, mostly high.
What I need to work on:
  • See 'not too well' list
  • Starting to focus on memorizing plane systems and emergency procedures. After I complete my solo cross-country (next week or the week after most likely), I'm actually done with the required pre-check ride requirements so I have to get the paperwork stuff squared away.
Prep for next flight:
  • Review my cross-country plan and verify I have the initial information correct. Complete one dummy 'final course' setup based on actual wind conditions so I'm comfortable doing the final planning.
  • Try chair flying a XC with all my junk to see if I can find a way to keep all the paper in place and easy to access. I feel like I need a roll-top desk to manage all the maps, plans, paper, and flight computer. Can't WAIT to get through the training and check-ride so I can just use my iPad and ForeFlight.
Today's flight profile

Comments