Date: 28.Jul.2017
Flight Number: 29
Flight Hours:  1.2
Solo Hours: 0
Instructor Hours: 1.6
Landings: 5
Solo Landings: 0

What we did today:
  • More check-ride practice
  • Steep turns
  • Slow flight
  • Power off stall
  • Power on stall
  • Emergency no power landing
  • Take-offs and landings
  • Side slip
What went well:
  • Steep turns and slow flight seemed OK today
What didn't go so well:
  • Still overshooting the 'down' part of stall recovery. When I release the stick on the stall break, I let the nose go too low. I need to just barely release the stick.
  • Pattern work was problematic. Major cross wind and gusts today, pretty much at the limits I'm allowed as a student pilot. Just about the time I find a way to keep squared up in the pattern (fly the reciprocal of the runway), the winds force me to crap everywhere and I'm back to drifting around.
  • Landings...uuuuuggggly. The wind was strong so I was getting low and slow before landing and then not correcting for the crosswind at touchdown. 
  • The pattern was wicked busy today. I continue to have problems keeping track of aircraft and following radio calls.
  • Fundamentally I can only take in and act on a limited amount of information at one time. If I listen to the radio, my heading and/or altitude go to hell. Today if I adjusted to the gusts, I lot track of speed and altitude. I'm hoping that eventually more stuff will move from 'needs fore-brain' to 'lives in brain stem' so my overall situational awareness will improve. 42 hours and 175 landings...not so sure when I will turn the corner.
What I need to work on:
  • Can we just go with 'everything'?
Prep for next flight:
  • Focused on Wed's dual and solo cross country.

Comments