Reflections

05.Jul.2017
Total Hours: 28.7
Solo Hours: 1.0
Landings: 121
Solo Landings: 6
Flights: 19

When I signed up for lessons, the guy at the desk said that it would probably take 30 hours to get my Sport Pilot license.
Some weeks back Rick told me that the quickest he'd seen anyone complete SP was 38 hours.
I'm definitely not going to make it by 30 hours.
I seriously doubt I'll be done at 38.

I'm not yet to the point where Rick is willing to let me fly solo in the practice area and I'm sure that's due to my landing skills. I can get the plane onto the runway but it's often not pretty.

After 121 landings, I'm feeling more comfortable bringing the plane down and I think a couple of things have clicked in the last week that will help me do better landings more often.

No indication yet on when we start working on cross country flights (which for SP are only 75 miles).

I'm now confident that I'll be able to complete my license which, after the first couple of weeks, was not a guaranteed thing.

I still have a crap ton of memorization to do. I'm putting it off because my recall skills have really atrophied. The good news is that the knowledge tests are open book so as long as I can find an answer fairly quickly in the correct resource, I should be OK and knowing how to look stuff up is something I'm pretty good at.

I am still not to the point where I'm having fun flying. That sounds worse than it is. My approach to projects is more like this.

There is so much to do in the cockpit and we're always going from one exercise to another so I rarely have time to just sit back and enjoy the ride. Satisfaction, for me, comes from nailing a maneuver and I'm still new enough at this that 'nailing' is a sometime thing. I'm sure the 'gee whiz I'm flying a plane' moment will come eventually. In the meantime I'll just work on skills and try not to break the plane.

Comments