Talked off the ledge

Spend about an hour talking to my CFI Rick today. Important takeaways:
  • Typical time to do Sport Pilot is 55 hours. I'm at 42, won't make it by 55, but I'm at least not out at the -3SD on the curve.
  • Worst student he had was, at 80 hours, worse than I am now at 40. That student couldn't get through any maneuver without being coached step by step through the process. I can fly through the major moves without coaching and mostly within private pilot tolerances.
  • I still have a concern about my ability to Perceive, Process, and Plan (as defined in the AC on Risk Management). I tend to stay behind the plane except in very still air and light traffic. Rick asked me if he thought I'd be able to get better and the true answer remains 'I do not know'. I'm in the process of scheduling a post-concussive neurological. At the end of the eval, I intend to ask the Dr. if he'd get in a plane with me...the answer could be quite telling. 
  • The check-ride is cancelled. Rick wanted to put it in the calendar since the DPE is typically booked 6 weeks out. I'm fine waiting until I feel more confident to start booking tests and check-rides. 
  • Cross-country scheduled for this Wed is pushed back a week so I can have 2 more (hopefully low stress) flying days.
Got my Gleim and Private Oral Test books (dear FSM...so much to learn!).

So, bottom line: Still flying and leaving open the option to self-wash out if the neuro comes back out of norms low.

Comments