Date: 27.Jul.2017
Flight Number:28
Flight Hours: 1.3
Solo Hours: 0
Instructor Hours: 1.7
Landings: 6
Solo Landings: 0

What we did today:
  • Start practice for checkride
  • Steep turns
  • Slow flight
  • Descent in slow flight
  • Power of stall
  • Power on stall
  • Emergency power out landing
  • Tailwind landings (wheeeee)
What went well:
  • Steep turns, spec is 200 feet, I maintained 155 per my KML
  • Slow flight
  • Descent in slow flight
  • Power on stall
  • Emergency power out landing - interestingly the power was pulled when we were near a bunch of clouds. If it had been a real emergency, I'd have gone for a grass strip that was just under us and screw the Class E cloud restrictions. As it was, I had to do a bit of maneuvering to skip around clouds to get lined up on a grass field
  • Tailwind landings were fast but I managed to get slowed down for landing. Need a bit more work to make them better
  • Pattern is almost a rectangle. Still swinging right on take-off but not so far and the rest is much better.
What didn't go so well:
  • Power off stall - I dropped the nose below the horizon by quite a bit.
  • We had to switch from doing touch and goes from runway 23 to runway 5 (180 turn) and I had to be coached through the process...had to go out, up, cross over at 500' above pattern, and teardrop back into 5. I think if I'd been on m own, I'd have just flown out 15 miles, thought about it, and come in on a regular 45. Still struggling with the whole pattern entry from <random> spot thing.
What I need to work on:
  • FAA and Oral test prep. Good lord there is a lot of stuff to know...and I only have a bit over a month to get it down.
Prep for next flight:
  • Reviewed track log. Know I need to tighten up my steep turns so I'm well inside the requirement (Rick teaches to 100' Private Pilot standard).


Comments